Graduate Development Opportunities
Graduate Intern Opportunities
CareFirst is excited to offer Internships and Graduate Development Programs for students in a variety of departmental areas. Our goal is to offer college students and graduate students and opportunity to work in an exciting environment which fosters continued learning and development, with hands on training. Be a part of the team while gaining real life work experiences as you assist with key corporate initiatives at CareFirst.
- Graduate degree MBA, MPH, MHA with a concentration in Finance, Genetal Management, Marketing, Mathematics/Analytics, Information Systems, and/or Public Health.
- No more than 1-2 years of work experience related to your business degree
- 3.5 GPA
- Strategic, visionary outlook
- Exceptional interpersonal and relationship-building skills
- Comfortable working in a challenging environment
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
- Enthusiastic interest in the health care industry
This internship is for motivated graduate students approaching graduation with aspirations of a career in the health insurance industry. It offers an all-encompassing overview of the industry as well as exposure to the day-to-day workings of the region's leading health insurance company.
Principle accountablities include, but are not limited to the following:
Understanding the insurance industry, reading and analyzing health insurance related materials, researching various industry topics and developing analyses based on findings, developing summaries of analyses, gathering data from all divisions of the company, creating PowerPoint presentations including charts and graphs of relevant corporate statistics, preparation of materials for use by Executives and Board of Director.
This position may include the following duties: Analyze market and segment competitors. Conduct market research on segments and products within the CareFirst geographic region. Read and summarize goverment regulations and guideline. Understand insurance products in-depth. Formulate excel spreadsheets and calculate comparisons. Create graph and charts to demonstrate marketing strategy. Create PowerPoint presentations.
- Positions in IT vary from each department. You may gain a thorough understanding of the entire life cycle methodology and governance around application development starting with managing business owner requirements then progressing through techinical design, build, test and deployment phases. Obtain a working knowledge of CareFirst health care processes.
Production of reports using MS Access, Excel, SharePoint and other reporting tools.
Develop, test, and implement efficient and maintainable reporting, IT serviceCatalogs and SharePoint sites, content and processes.
Generate clear and concise documentation.
Perform process engineering and continuous improvement functions with a focus on providing reporting support including developing standards or ad hoc reports for management and end users using CareFirst reporting tools (i.e. MS Visio, PowerPoint, Access, SharePoint, Clarity and other web-based and reporting tools).
- Production of monthly and quarterly reports using SQL Plus, Business Intelligence tools, and mainframe programming languages (SAS and EzTrieve). Develop and test basic ad hoc reports, identifying and resolving problems as they arise.
The internship will provide an opportunity to learn new technology and acquire business knowledge in the health care field.
Assist with fulfillment process for Individual Sales pre-sales literature, including copy review, routing, tracking, filing of materials and pre-sale kit fulfillment order processes. Assist with reporting on day-to-day fulfillment-related activities. Participate in teams to assist in implementation of new product changes requiring changes to fulfillment materials.
Assist with implementation of strategic integrated direct response sales campaigns, including copy review, routing, tracking and filling of Direct Mail campaign materials. Draft communication of campaign details and provide to appropriate individuals. Assist with production of event solicitations, including postcards. Assist with reporting on campaign activities.
The Research Team is responsible for all required research (for example, surveys mandated by NCQA and State and Federal agencies) and ad hoc studies conducted at CareFirst. The Research Team uses phone, mail, Web-based and focus group methodologies in the design of its projects. Target populations include health plan members, providers, employers, and CareFirst employees.
Principle accountabilities include, but are not limited to the following:
Assisting with mainframe programs, compiling rate charts, computing Income Adjustment Factors, compiling components of monitoring reports and state filing including enrollment, market segment date, etc. Assemble competitive analyses and experience data gathering and updating. Assist with model updates, trend exhibit updates and organize directories.
You will be responsible for research, writing and editing. Will serve as a backup to Literature Resource Center, assist with maintenance of electronic files and databases, will gain knowledge and understanding of all events supporting associate and executive meetings, and activities.