BlueFund Consumer Directed Health Plans (CDH)
CareFirst's Consumer Directed Health Plans , called BlueFund, puts your employees in the driver's seat. BlueFund combines a CareFirst health plan with an employer-funded "Health Reimbursement Arrangement" (HRA) or a "Health Savings Account" (HSA) to cover health care expenses. Access to online self-service tools and health and wellness information helps your employees to manage their health care.
- A medical spending account (either an HRA or HSA) is set up with a predetermined amount of funds, which can be used to pay for out-of-pocket member expenses.
- Unspent funds are rolled over to the next year, thus increasing employees' total account fund.
- Employees make the decision on where and how to spend their health care funds, while still benefiting from the Blue Cross and Blue Shield provider discounts.
- Online tools help employees keep track of their fund balance and manage their benefits.
- Freedom to select any doctor and in most cases, no referrals are necessary.
- 100% coverage or a small copay coverage for routine preventive care when using in-network providers.
- No claim forms to fill out for in-network and out-of-network services when rendered by participating providers.
- Large national network of preferred and participating providers through BlueCard - more than 6,100 hospitals and 700,000 providers.
Online tools and resources:
- How BlueFund Plans Work - Provides more details on HRA and HSA BlueFund plans.
- Member self-service site - Allows employees to:
- Keep track of the balance in their account
- Check HRA/HSA transaction details
- Check the status of their claims
- See their eligibility
- Search the online provider directory
- Access health information
- My Care First - Provides health and wellness information along with health risk assessment and health goal-setting tools.
- "Options" Discount Program - Offers discounts on a variety of services such as laser vision correction, fitness club memberships, weight loss programs and more.
- Find a Doctor - This provider directory is updated every two weeks.
- Prescription Drug Information - Look up prescription drug prices and learn how to save money on prescription drugs.
For more information about this plan contact your broker or CareFirst sales representative