Please call the provider's office you wish to visit to confirm he or she still participates with CareFirst.
Requests received on or before the 20th of the month will be effective the first day of the following month.
Requests received after the 20th will be effective on the first of the second month following your request. For example: changes received by January 20 will be effective February 1. Changes received on January 21 will be effective March 1.
New cards will be issued after the PCP change is processed.
How to Change your Primary Care Physician
For members of BlueChoice and Maryland Point of Service products, you can change your Primary Care Provider (PCP) by calling Member Services at the telephone number on your ID card or follow the directions below:
Make the Change Online
- Log onto My Account.
- If you have not registered, please click on the "First Time Users" link to register and select your User ID and Password.
- Select "Change PCP".
- Search the Directory for your new PCP.
- Your search will only show providers who are accepting new patients.
- Click the "Select" button besides the provider's listing and complete the PCP Change Request form.
Changing Your Primary Care Physician (PCP) (only available on plans that require a PCP)
- The "Change PCP" feature is found on two pages:
- Search Results: Page listing all providers who matched criteria entered
- Provider Details: Page that loads after you select provider's name from Search Results.
- On the Search Results page, click "Change PCP" to the right of the provider you'd like to begin using.
- On the Provider Details page, click "Change PCP," located at the bottom of the page.
- A form will display with the provider's information already entered in the top section.
- Complete the rest of the form then click "Send."