In its 80th year of service, CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield is a not-for-profit, non-stock health services company which, through its affiliates and subsidiaries, offers a comprehensive portfolio of products and administrative services to individuals and groups in Maryland, the District of Columbia and portions of Northern Virginia. CareFirst is the parent company of CareFirst of Maryland, Inc., and Group Hospitalization and Medical Services, Inc. CareFirst, Inc., and its affiliates are governed by a Board of Directors and special statutes regulating the company's business in Maryland, the District of Columbia and Northern Virginia.
- Is the largest health care insurer in the Mid-Atlantic region, serving 3.2 million members.
- Employs approximately 5,000 associates and contractors in Maryland, Washington, D.C. and Northern Virginia.
- Has launched the nation’s largest Patient-Centered Medical Home (PCMH) program of its kind.
- Serves more than 640,000 members in the Federal Employees Health Benefits Program (FEHBP) – the largest FEP enrollment in the nation.
- Nationally recognized as a "Best in Blue" insurer for providing stellar customer service for 20 years for D.C. FEP members and 10 years for Maryland FEP members.
- Invested $33.2 million in 2017 to improve overall health, and increase the accessibility, affordability, safety and quality of health care throughout its market areas.
- Earned recognition in 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018 as one of the "World's Most Ethical Companies" from the Ethisphere Institute.
- Revenue: $8.8 Billion
- Net Income: $240.6 Million
- Medical Care Spending: $7.5 Billion