Annual Report Archives
View past CareFirst, Inc. (CareFirst) annual reports, which include information about its Maryland Affiliate (CareFirst of Maryland, Inc.) and its National Capital Area Affiliate (Group Hospitalization and Medical Services, Inc.).
CareFirst's mission is to provide affordable and accessible health insurance to our members in Maryland, Washington, D.C. and Northern Virginia.
In 2011, CareFirst:
- Contributed more than $51 million to community programs that aimed to increase health care affordability, accessibility and quality of care.
- Expanded its Patient-Centered Medical Home (PCMH) to more than 2,200 primary care providers, making the program the largest of its type in the nation.
- Continued to offer innovative products such as HealthyBlue, an initiative designed to reward members for taking control of their health.
With the goal of slowing rising health care costs, new programs were launched in 2010. Among these programs were:
- Patient-Centered Medical Home (PCMH), designed to improve the care of CareFirst's sickest members by improving their health and lowering cost of the individuals who create 60 percent of medical costs that the company pays out.
- HealthyBlue, a new health plan that gives members more control over their health costs and rewards for health and is being expanded for the coming year.
Additionally, in 2010, CareFirst donated $56 million to more than 300 local organizations that benefit the region served.