BluePreferred HRA is a preferred provider organization (PPO) high deductible health plan that is compatible with an employer-sponsored Health Reimbursement Arrangement (HRA). Together, they provide the flexibility to choose a doctor or hospital while helping to control your health care costs. Members save money when they obtain health care from our large Preferred Provider network, and they can self-refer to any physician or provider in the network.
Members can choose to have medical care provided by a physician or hospital outside of the preferred provider network. Out-of-network benefits are available for covered services, although the member will incur higher out-of-pocket expenses.
- Members do not need to choose a Primary Care Physician (PCP) and will never need a referral.
- Freedom to visit any doctor or hospital outside the network and still be covered. Members will just share more of the cost.
- Access to one of the largest PPO provider networks in the MD, DC, and VA area, with more than 24,000 participating providers.
- Fewer paperwork hassles than traditional plans. All "Select Preferred" Providers and "Participating Providers" will typically file claims for members.
- No balance billing when using participating hospitals or providers.
- Coverage when you travel. The BlueCard PPO Program allows BluePreferred members to receive in-network benefits while they live or travel outside our service area.
Benefits of your BluePreferred PPO plan includes:
- No-cost preventive services for children and adults
- Annual routine examinations and office visits
- Well-child care and immunizations
- Women's health coverage, such as routine mammograms and Pap tests
- Men's health coverage, including routine prostate cancer screenings
- Hospitalization/inpatient services up to 365 days
- Outpatient hospital services
- Emergency care for injury and illness
- Office visits for illness
- Diagnostic tests and X-rays
- Allergy testing and injections
- Home health care
- Hospice care
- Durable medical equipment
- Medical supplies
Advantages of using a Health Reimbursement Arrangement
- Financial control over how health care dollars are spent
- An Employer-funded cash account that provides members with first-dollar coverage*
- No "use it or lose it provision" like a flexible spending account (FSA). Money not used in the HRA can be rolled over to the following year.*
- HRA funds can be used for all qualified medical expenses, including traditional medical coverage, as well as eye glasses, dental procedures, prescription drug coverage and over-the-counter medication.**
- Members make the decision on where and how to spend their health care funds, while still benefiting from the Blue Cross and Blue Shield provider discounts.
Online Tools and Resources:My Account - Allows you to:
- Review eligibility and benefits
- Check the status of a claim
- Request a new ID card
My Care First - Provides health and wellness information along with health risk assessment and health goal-setting tools.
Options Discount Program- Learn about discounts on services such as laser vision correction, fitness club memberships, weight loss programs, cosmetic dentistry and more.
Find a Provider - This provider directory is updated every two weeks.
Prescription Drug Information- Look up your prescription drug coverage levels and learn how to save money on your prescription drugs.
* While a referral is not needed to visit plan specialists when receiving services rendered in an office setting, pre-authorization may be needed for certain services such as mental health and substance abuse treatments and non-emergency hospitalizations, among others. Please refer to your benefits booklet (also called Evidence of Coverage) for the specific services that require pre-authorization.
** Specific feature of the HRA are determined by your employer, not by CareFirst BlueChoice. See your benefits manager for details.
For more information about this plan, contact our Member Services Department at the phone number on your member ID card.