View a listing of health care abbreviations and acronyms.
- Family Deductible
- The amount of annual deductible required to be paid when there are two or more family members on the policy. Many CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield policies limit the annual family deductible to two times the individual deductible.
- Family Membership
- Provides coverage for a husband, wife, and children or grandchildren, or a single parent with one or more children. Each additional child can be added to the family membership at no extra cost. Eligibility rules for children over 18 vary by plan and area, as do eligibility rules for grandchildren.
- Fee-for-Service Payment System
- A system in which the insurer will either reimburse the group member or pay the provider directly for each covered medical expense after the expense has been incurred.
- A formulary is a preferred list of drugs. For example, the CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield prescription drug program is based on a formulary. With the CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield Three Tier program, you pay the lowest copay for generic drugs (Tier 1), a higher copay for brand name drugs on the formulary (Tier 2) and the highest copay for brand name drugs not on the formulary (Tier 3).