Ways to Save
Use Generic Drugs
- Generic drugs can cost up to 80 percent less than their brand-name counterparts and are made with the same active ingredients.
- Generic drugs are equivalent in dosage, safety, strength, quality, performance and intended use.
- Talk to your doctor or pharmacist about switching to a generic drug.
Use Drugs on the Preferred Drug List
- The CareFirst Preferred Drug List identifies generic and preferred brand drugs that may save you money.
- Drugs on the Preferred Drug List have been reviewed for quality, effectiveness, safety and cost by an independent national committee of health care professionals who have expertise regarding pharmacy drugs.
- Print the list and take it with you the next time you visit your doctor to see if there is a lower cost drug that can treat your condition.
Use Maintenance Medications
- Maintenance medications are drugs you take regularly for ongoing conditions such as diabetes, high blood pressure or asthma.
- You can get up to a three-month supply of your maintenance medications for the cost of two copays through any pharmacy in the network, including through mail order.
Use Mail Service Pharmacy
By using our Mail Service Pharmacy, you get the added convenience of having your prescriptions delivered right to your home. Plus, if you pay a coinsurance for your maintenance drugs, the overall cost of the drug may be less expensive through mail order, reducing your out-of-pocket costs.