Manage Your Medications
How do you know you’re taking the most appropriate medications? Could there be harmful interactions between two drugs? What if you forget to refill a prescription?
Our prescription drug plans help you get the most from your medications with tools that put you in control of your own medication management, and behind-the-scenes, active management of our plans based on the latest drug research.
- Medication Therapy Management: Request a free annual medication checkup (Comprehensive Medication Review) to review all your prescriptions, over-the-counter medicines, and supplements.
- Mail Order Refill Reminders: Help prevent gaps in drug-taking with electronic reminders when it’s time to refill your prescription.
- Automatic Refills: Sign up to have your regular medications refilled automatically.
- Drug-to-Drug Interactions: See if the drug you’re about to take has negative interactions with something you’re already taking, including over-the-counter medications and various foods.
- Drug Recall List: Check whether a medication has been recalled by the FDA.
- Medication Review: CareFirst’s Pharmacy and Therapeutics (P&T) Committee meets six times a year with top doctors and pharmacists to review the latest advances in medication research, and to decide which drugs are most clinically effective and cost efficient for treating medical conditions.
- Drug Adherence: Avoid costly medical complications with community education programs that teach the importance of taking all recommended drugs on schedule.
- Quantity vs. Time Monitoring: Your provider receives alerts if medications are being overprescribed.
- ePrescribing: Electronic transmission of prescriptions directly from your doctor means fewer errors, with no handwriting to figure out, no question of whether the fax “went through.”
- Allergy Checks: Electronic medical records of your drug allergies and current medications help our pharmacists spot potential harmful effects from new prescriptions.
- Specialty Prescription Management: Ensure that appropriate treatments are followed for complex medical conditions by providing:
- Personalized patient care with provider support
- Monthly calls from care coordinators to ensure drugs are being taken as prescribed
- 24/7 access to nurse/pharmacist hotline
- Educational materials
- Home delivery of drugs