Check Doctor Credentials
- This page contains links to other Web sites that offers information about providers.
- Some examples of organizations listed as resources include:
- The American Medical Association
- State Boards
- Local Medical Societies
American Medical Association (AMA)
The AMA's website "DoctorFinder" allows you to search for information by name, medical specialty or by location. You can find out if the physician is a member of the AMA. If so, you can also find information on the physician's gender, specialty and Board status, medical school and residency training.
American Psychological Association (APA)
Find out if a psychologist belongs to the APA by:
- Telephone: Call 800-964-2000 and a Customer Service Representative will provide you with the phone number of the APA referral system in your area.
- Online: Visit the APA Practice Organization's "Find a Psychiatrist" website at locator.apa.org.
District of Columbia Department of Health
Maryland Board of Physicians
The Maryland Board of Physicians provides license number, address and whether there are any actions sanctioned against physicians.
The Maryland State Medical Society
The Maryland State Medical Society website allows you to search for information by name, medical specialty or by city. If the physician is a member of MedChi, you can also find information on the physician's gender, specialty and Board status, medical school, residency training and any social media accounts. To use the tool, select "Resources," then "Find a Physician".
Virginia Board of Medicine
The Virginia Board of Medicine's website offers a "Practitioner Information" search which provides information such as education, board certifications, felony convictions and more.
The Virginia Department of Health Professionals offer a "License Lookup" tool that allows you to review the status of health care professionals.