Check Doctor Credentials
- This page contains links to other Web sites that offers information about providers.
- Some examples of organizations listed as resources include:
- The American Medical Association
- State Boards
- Local Medical Societies
American Medical Association (AMA)
The AMA's Web site "DoctorFinder" allows you to search for information by name, medical specialty or by location. You can find out if the physician is a member of the AMA. If so, you can also find information on the physician's gender, specialty and Board status, medical school, and residency training.
American Psychological Association (APA)
Find out if a psychologist belongs to the APA by:
- Telephone: Call 1-800-964-2000 and a Customer Service Representative will provide you with the phone number of the APA referral system in your area.
- Online: Visit the APA Practice Organization's "Find a Psychiatrist" Web site at http://locator.apahelpcenter.org.
District of Columbia Department of Health
Maryland Board of Physicians
http://www.mbp.state.md.us The Maryland Board of Physicians provides license number and address, and whether there are any actions sanctioned against physicians.
The Maryland State Medical Society
http://www.medchi.org (select "Resources," then "Find a Physician")
Medical Society of the District of Columbia
Virginia Board of Medicine
http://www.vahealthprovider.com (Practitioner Information)