BlueChoice Opt-Out Open Access (POS)
BlueChoice Opt-Out Open Access is a plan that offers the cost savings of an HMO and the freedom to visit any provider without a referral from a primary care physician (PCP). Members are required to choose a PCP upon enrollment.
With BlueChoice Opt-Out Open Access, members will pay a lower out-of-pocket cost when they receive care from providers who participate in CareFirst BlueChoice's network. They may also receive care outside the BlueChoice network, from any provider, but they will pay a higher out-of-pocket cost. With the Open Access feature, members do not need a referral from their PCP to receive most in- or out-of-network care. + This plan is only available to groups.
- Freedom to choose any doctor, specialist or hospital - anytime members wish
- 365 Days of Hospital Coverage
- No referrals needed to see plan specialists+
- No claims to file when visiting a BlueChoice provider
- Preventive Care and Wellness Benefits
- Routine examinations and office visits
- Well-child care and immunizations
- Women's health coverage, such as routine mammograms and Pap tests
- Men's health coverage, including routine prostate cancer screening
- Family planning services
- Discount dental program offers BlueChoice members savings of 20% to 40% on dental services.
3-Tier Prescription Drug Plan:
- Tier 1 - Generic copays offer the lowest cost to the member $
- Tier 2 - Copays for formulary/preferred brand name drugs are higher than for generic drugs $$
- Tier 3 - Copays for nonformulary/nonpreferred brand name drugs have the highest level of copay $$$
- No-cost preventive services for children and adults
- Disease management programs for members with chronic asthma, diabetes, congestive heart failure, coronary heart disease and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
- Vitality member magazine
- Health education programs
- Great Beginnings program for expectant mothers
- Discounts on alternative therapies: Options provides discounts on alternative therapies including acupuncture, massage therapy and chiropractic care. It also provides discounts for fitness center memberships and weight loss programs.
- 24/7 Advice: FirstHelp gives 24-hours a day, 7-days a week health care advice from registered nurses who can answer your employees' health care questions and help guide them to the most appropriate care.
Dental Plans May Be Purchased Separately:
- DHMO Dental
- Preferred (PPO) Dental
- Traditional Dental
Routine Vision Benefits*:
- BlueVision Plus
Frequently Asked Questions:
- Get answers to Frequently Asked Questions regarding this plan.
- BlueChoice Opt-Out Open Access (964 KB, 36 pgs.)
*Out-of-Network benefits are not available for this service for Groups based in the District of Columbia.
*While a referral is not needed to visit plan specialists, pre-authorization may be needed for certain services. Also, speech, physical, and occupational therapy services may require a recommendation for treatment from a PCP or specialist. Please refer to the benefits booklet (also called Evidence of Coverage) for the specific services that require pre-authorization.
For more information about this plan, contact our Member Services Department at the phone number on your member ID card.
Viewing and printing this document requires Adobe Acrobat Reader, which can be downloaded free from the Adobe site.