HealthyBlue Dual Option HSA (for individual members only)
HealthyBlue Dual Option gives you the freedom to visit any BlueChoice doctor, with or without a referral. Members also have the ability to earn a Healthy Reward for living healthy lives or for taking actions to have healthier lifestyles.
Greater flexibility comes with higher costs to you, so be sure you understand the difference between a CareFirst network provider and an out-of-network doctor as the cost difference can be substantial.
Option 1 is based on the BlueChoice network and requires referrals from your PCP for Specialty care, and has the lowest cost sharing to the member. Option 2 also uses the BlueChoice network, but does not require referrals.
HealthyBlue Dual Option HSA also includes the tax savings of a Health Savings Account (HSA).
- Freedom to choose any doctor, specialist or hospital - anytime you wish
- 365 days of hospital coverage
- Options to access care with and without referrals
- No claims to file when visiting a CareFirst participating provider
Preventive Care and Wellness Benefits at no cost:
- Annual routine examinations and office visits
- Well-child care and immunizations
- Women's health coverage, such as routine mammograms and Pap tests
- Men's health coverage, including routine prostate cancer screening
3-Tier Prescription Drug Plan:
- HealthyBlue Select Generics at no cost – generics used to treat asthma, blood pressure, cholesterol, depression and diabetes
- Tier 1 - Generic drugs (lowest out-of-pocket cost) $
- Tier 2 - Preferred brand name drugs (higher out-of-pocket cost) $$
- Tier 3 - Non-preferred brand name drugs (highest out-of-pocket cost) $$$
Ability to earn a reward for being healthy - up to $300 per individual policy or up to $700 per family.
Discount dental program offers BlueChoice members savings of 20% to 40% on dental services.
BlueVision coverage includes an annual eye exam and discounts on lenses, frames and materials.
Plans typically have some member out-of-pocket costs in the form of copayments, coinsurance, deductibles or annual maximums. Please refer to your Evidence of Coverage for more information.
Advantages of using a Health Savings Account:
- Financial control over how you spend your health care dollars.
- An interest accruing, tax-deferred savings account that can be used to pay for your out-of-pocket medical expenses.
- HSA earnings grow tax-deferred and qualified withdrawals are tax free.
- No "use it or lose it provision" like a flexible spending account (FSA). Money not used in your health savings account can be rolled over to the following year.
- HSA funds can be used for all qualified medical expenses, including traditional medical coverage, as well as eye glasses, dental procedures, and prescription drug coverage.
You make the decision on where and how to spend your health care funds, while still benefiting from the Blue Cross and Blue Shield provider discounts.
- No-cost preventive services for children and adults
- Options Discount Program - Learn about discounts on services such as laser vision correction, fitness club memberships, weight loss programs, cosmetic dentistry and more.
- Find a Provider - This provider directory is updated every two weeks.
- Prescription Drug Information - Look up your prescription drug coverage levels and learn how to save money on your prescription drugs
- Disease management programs for members with chronic asthma, diabetes, congestive heart failure, coronary heart disease and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
- Health & wellness magazine
- Health education programs
- Great Beginnings program for expectant mothers
- Discounts on alternative therapies: Options provides discounts on alternative therapies including acupuncture, massage therapy and chiropractic care. It also provides discounts for fitness center memberships and weight loss programs.
- 24/7 Advice: FirstHelp gives you health care 24-hours a day, 7-days a week advice from registered nurses who can answer your health care questions and help guide you to the most appropriate care.
- My Care First - Provides health and wellness information along with health risk assessment and health goal-setting tools.
Dental Plans May Be Purchased Separately:
- DHMO Dental
- Individual Select Preferred
- HealthyBlue Dual Option (1.2MB, 44 pgs.)
*While a referral is not needed to visit plan specialists when receiving services rendered in an office setting, pre-authorization may be needed for certain services such as mental health and substance abuse treatments and non-emergency hospitalizations, among others. Please refer to the benefits booklet (also called Evidence of Coverage) for the specific services that require pre-authorization.
For more information about this plan, contact our Member Services Department at the phone number on your member ID card.