Group Traditional Dental
Note: The information below briefly describes important features about this health care program. It is not a contract. A detailed description of your benefits is included in the Evidence of Coverage. Please refer to the Evidence of Coverage for specific terms, conditions, limitations and exclusions.
CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield (CareFirst) Traditional Dental offers a range of dental coverage with the freedom to select any dentist for care. This coverage is available with any CareFirst medical plan or as a freestanding plan.
- Large provider network with access to over 94,000 participating dental providers nationwide
- A variety of Traditional dental plans to meet members' needs
- Dental coverage includes:
- Preventive care such as cleanings and X-rays
- Basic services such as fillings and extractions
- Major surgical services including oral surgery and root canal therapy
- Major restorative services including dentures, fixed bridges and crowns
- No claim forms to file when visiting a participating provider
- Participating dental providers accept CareFirst's allowed benefit as payment in full for covered services
- Members are only responsible for deductibles and coinsurance when using a participating dental provider
- Nationwide emergency coverage
- Option to purchase dental coverage with medical insurance, or as a freestanding policy
- Orthodontia coverage – An optional orthodontia benefit is available for groups with two or more employees
- Out-of-network care – Members have the option of seeing any dentist and still receive coverage. However, they may have to file their own claim forms and pay higher out-of-pocket costs
How To Access Care:
1. When Using Participating Dental Providers:
- Members can locate a participating dental provider by reviewing the Find a Provider section of this website.
- The member ID card is shown to a participating dental provider at time of service.
- There are no claim forms to file and no balance billing; members are only responsible for deductibles and coinsurance.
2. When Using Non-Participating Dental Providers:
- If members visit a dentist who does not participate with CareFirst, they may be subject to higher out-of-pocket costs and be balance billed up to the provider's charges. They will also need to file their own claim forms.
For more information about this plan, contact our Member Services Department at the phone number on your member ID card.