Coordinating Your Care
Whether you’re trying to get healthy or stay healthy, you need the best care. CareFirst has programs to help you take an active role in your health, address any health care issues and enjoy a healthier future.
When you are admitted to the hospital, your focus should be to get better. That’s why CareFirst offers a program to help you on the road to recovery. A Hospital Transition Coordinator (HTC) is a registered nurse who helps improve communication between you, your doctors and other caregivers.
A Hospital Transition Coordinator may visit you while you are in the hospital to ensure you have the support you need. They also can help plan for your recovery after you leave the hospital.
You have many things to keep track of when you are living with a chronic condition. Our nurses can help you manage your condition and help you to prevent or delay complications.
Our Patient-Centered Medical Home (PCMH) program was designed to provide your primary care provider with a more complete view of your health needs, as well as the care you receive from other providers.
If you have a chronic condition, or are at risk for one, your PCP may:
- Create a care plan based on your health needs with specific follow-up activities to help you manage your health
- Provide access to a care coordinator, who is a registered nurse, so you have the support you need, answers to your questions and information about your care
If you have a serious illness or injury, our Complex Case Management program can help you navigate through the health care system and provide support along the way. Our Case Managers are registered nurses who will:
- Work closely with you and your doctors to help you follow your treatment plan
- Coordinate necessary services
- Contact you regularly to see how you are doing
- Answer your questions
This program is free, voluntary and confidential. For more information, call 888-264-8648 or enroll online.
Living your best life involves good physical and mental health. Emotional well-being is important at every stage in life, from adolescence through adulthood. When mental health difficulties arise for you or a loved one, remember you are not alone. Help is available and feeling better is possible.
Our partner, Magellan* Healthcare, offers specialized services and programs when you need assistance related to depression, drug or alcohol dependence, stress, work-life balance or eating disorders.
Magellan's services include, but are not limited to:
- Appointment scheduling assistance
- Telehealth services for real-time, online virtual appointments
- Collaboration with CareFirst primary care providers
- Intensive care coordination for those with critical needs
Magellan Customer Service associates will help connect you to the services and programs that best fit your needs.
To learn more about our behavioral health programs – or for help finding a provider – call the Mental Health/Substance Abuse number listed on the back of your member ID card.
* Magellan Healthcare is an independent company that provides managed behavioral health services to CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield and CareFirst BlueChoice members. Magellan Healthcare does provide Blue Cross Blue Shield products or services.