BluePreferred HSA is a preferred provider organization (PPO) high deductible health plan that is compatible with Health Savings Account (HSA). Together, they provide the flexibility to choose a doctor or hospital while helping to control health care costs. Members save money when they obtain their health care from our large Preferred Provider network, and they can self-refer to any physician or provider in the network.
If members choose to have medical care provided by a physician or hospital outside of the preferred provider network, out-of-network benefits are available for covered services, although they will incur higher out-of-pocket expenses.
- Members do not need to choose a Primary Care Physician (PCP) and will never need a referral.
- Freedom to visit any doctor or hospital outside the network and still be covered. Members will just share more of the cost.
- Access to one of the largest PPO provider networks in the MD, DC, and VA area, with more than 24,000 participating providers.
- Fewer paperwork hassles than traditional plans. All "Select Preferred" Providers and "Participating Providers" will typically file your claims for members.
- No balance billing when using participating hospitals or providers.
- Coverage when you travel. The BlueCard PPO Program allows BluePreferred members to receive in-network benefits while they live or travel outside our service area.
Benefits of your BluePreferred PPO plan includes:
- No-cost preventive services for children and adults
- Annual routine examinations and office visits
- Well-child care and immunizations
- Women's health coverage, such as routine mammograms and Pap tests
- Men's health coverage, including routine prostate cancer screenings
- Hospitalization/inpatient services up to 365 days
- Outpatient hospital services
- Emergency care for injury and illness
- Office visits for illness
- Diagnostic tests and X-rays
- Allergy testing and injections
- Home health care
- Hospice care
- Durable medical equipment
- Medical supplies
Advantages of a Health Savings Account:
- Financial control over how health care dollars are spent.
- An interest accruing, tax-deferred savings account that can be used to pay for out-of-pocket medical expenses.
- HSA earnings grow tax-deferred and qualified withdrawals are tax free.
- No "use it or lose it provision" like a flexible spending account (FSA). Money not used in the health savings account can be rolled over to the following year.
- HSA funds can be used for all qualified medical expenses, including traditional medical coverage, as well as eye glasses, dental procedures, prescription drug coverage and over-the-counter medication.
- Members make the decision on where and how to spend their health care funds, while still benefiting from the Blue Cross and Blue Shield provider discounts.
Online Tools and Resources:My Account - Allows you to:
- Review eligibility and benefits
- Check the status of a claim
- Request a new ID card
My Care First - Provides health and wellness information along with health risk assessment and health goal-setting tools.
Options Discount Program- Learn about discounts on services such as laser vision correction, fitness club memberships, weight loss programs, cosmetic dentistry and more.
Find a Provider - This provider directory is updated every two weeks.
Prescription Drug Information- Look up your prescription drug coverage levels and learn how to save money on your prescription drugs.
For more information about this plan, contact our Member Services Department at the phone number on your member ID card.